PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE PROMISE ACADEMY:
Peer-reviewed journal articles are bolded. Please note we have also produced a resource: Tools for Implementing a State University System Approach to Faculty Diversification Through Postdoctoral Conversion.
- Aumiller, J.G., Enekwe, B., Carter-Veale, W., & Cresiski, R.H. (2023) Intentional mentoring networks for minoritized postdocs within a university system [abstract accepted to the UNM Mentoring Institute].
- Enekwe, B. & Cresiski, R.H. (2023, June 30). Leveraging state university systems for postdoctoral development. The POSTDOCket. 21(1). https://www.nationalpostdoc.org/page/POSTDOCket_2102#section4
- Enekwe, B, & Aumiller, J.G. (2023, June 7). Inter-institutional mentorship and mentor training [Webinar]. National Postdoctoral Association myPDO Monthly Webinar. https://www.nationalpostdoc.org/general/custom.asp?page=Webinar_Archives#myPDO
- Reed, A., & Bertot, J. (2023, May). Institutional Approaches to Increasing Faculty Diversity: Initiatives at UMBC and UMCP [Webinar]. Faculty Diversity Webinar Series, National Association of System Heads.
- Culpepper,D., Gonzales, L.,Carter-Veale, WY., Reed, A., & Cresiski, RH. (April, 2023) Defining and Assessing Readiness for Diversification and Transformation: An Integrative Literature Review for Theory, Research, and Practice. [Paper presentation] AERA Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Enekwe, B., Cresiski, R.H., Lawson, M., Gonzales, L. & Culpeper, D. (January 2023). The RISE UPP Alliance Overview: Leveraging State Systems to Diversify Faculty [Webinar]. Faculty Diversity Webinar Series, National Association of System Heads.
- Aumiller, J., & Enekwe, B. (2022). Collaboration through a Pandemic: A Virtual Inter-Institutional Collaborative Faculty Mentoring Training Workshop Model. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 33(4), 91-104.
- Cresiski, R.H., Ghent, C., Rutledge, J., Carter-Veale, W. Aumiller, J., Bertot, J., Enekwe, B., Golemewski, E., Medina, Y., Scott, M. (2022). Developing a state university system model to diversity faculty in the biomedical sciences. Frontiers in Psychology, 514.
- Aumiller, J.G. & Enekwe, B. (November, 2022). Inter Institutional Mentoring Programming through Maryland AGEP Promise Academy Alliance. [Presentation] AGEP National Research Conference. Corpus Christi, TX.
- Carter-Veale, W.Y., & Murphrey, T.P. (2022, November). Internal Evaluation: Impacts of engaging an internal evaluator in your alliance. [Poster presentation] AGEP National Research Conference. Corpus Christi, TX.
- Carter-Veale, W.Y., Cresiski, R.H., Rutledge, J.C., Bertot, J.C., Medina, Y., Golembewski, E., Ghent, C., Aumiller, J., Scott, M.S., and Enekwe., B. (2022, November). Using system change evaluation to understand the impact of a state system approach to faculty diversification. Paper presented at the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) Conference. Las Vegas, NV.
- Carter-Veale, W.Y., Cresiski, R.H. Mason, L., Yadav, M. (2022, March). Using systems thinking in your AGEP Alliance. Panelists at an AGEP Evaluation Capacity Building Conference Webinar, virtual.
- Carter-Veale, W.Y., Cresiski, R.H., Culpepper, D. (2022, April). Are departments ready to be inclusive? A case study for assessing readiness. Oral presentation at the National Postdoctoral Association Conference. Chicago, IL.
- Cresiski, RH, Aumiller, J, Enekwe, B, Medina, Y, Scott, MS, Ghent, CA, Carter-Veale, WY, Bertot, JC, Golembewski, EK, Lankford, J, Rutledge, JC. (2022, April). A skills self-assessment tool to help inform a postdoc’s individualized development plan: a resource from the AGEP PROMISE Academy Alliance. Poster presented at the National Postdoctoral Association Conference. Chicago, IL.
- Cresiski, R.H. (2022, March). Maryland’s AGEP PROMISE Academy Alliance. Oral Presentation at the Faculty Hiring Practices that Promote Diversity and Inclusion Symposium, sponsored by the NSF-RUA AGEP, virtual.
- Enekwe, B. & Aumiller J.G. (2021, October) Cross institutional collaboration for mentor training. Oral Presentation at the American Association of Medical Colleges GREAT Meeting, virtual.
- Ghent, C., Scott, M.S., and Presotto, A. (2022, April). Postdocs at PUIs: Possible and PROMISE-ing. Oral presentation at the National Postdoctoral Association Conference, virtual.
- Culpepper, D., Reed, A., Enekwe, B., Carter-Veale, W., LaCourse, W.R., McDermott, P., & Cresiski, R.H. (2021). A new effort to diversify faculty: Postdoc-to-tenure track conversion models. Frontiers in Psychology. 12:733995. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2021.733995
- Cresiski, R.H. and Patt, C., (2021, August). Faculty diversification through creating pathways and removing barriers in and out of postdoctoral positions: Two NSF AGEP consortia approaches. Oral Presentation at the NSF INCLUDES National Network Convening, virtual.
- Clark, J. K., Egan, C. N., Reid, T. P., Southerland, W., Centering Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in UR, “Diversifying undergraduate research through inclusive faculty allies: Development of a culturally-responsive faculty mentoring model,” CUR. (June 2021).
- Cresiski, R.H., Aumiller, J., Ghent, C., Medina, Y., Bertot, J., Enekwe, B., Golembewski, E., Rutledge, J., Scott, M. (2021, June). The AGEP PROMISE Academy Alliance: A state system postdoctoral model in Maryland to diversify the biomedical sciences. Oral presentation at the 2021 AGEP National Research Conference, virtual.
- Aumiller, J., Enekwe, B., Golembewski, E., Scott, M., Rutledge J., Ghent, C., Carter-Veale, W., Bertot, J., Medina, Y., Cresiski, R.H. (2021, April). A state-wide university system model to diversify biomedical faculty. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the National Postdoc Association, virtual.
- Enekwe, B., Scott, M., Golembewski, E., Cresiski, R.H., Aumiller, J., Ghent, C., Carter-Veale, W., Bertot, J., Rutledge J. (2021, April). Developing a state-wide university system model to diversify faculty through a postdoc-to-tenure track conversion program. Oral presentation at the annual meeting of the National Postdoc Association, virtual.
- Kelly, K., Murphrey, T., Carter-Veale, W., Blackmon, A.T., Burr, E., & Flynn, J. (2020, November). The unsung hero of AGEP alliances: Effective collaboration. Oral presentation at the 2020 AGEP National Research Conference, Virtual.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS FROM OUR RESEARCH TEAM:
We have been fortunate to have a Social Science Research Team led by Dr. Kerry Ann O’Meara, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Provost and Dean of the College at Teachers College Columbia University (Dr. O’Meara was formerly Professor of Higher Education, and Associate Dean for Faculty and Graduate Affairs at the University of Maryland, College Park). She has served as President of the Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) among many other accolades. On her team: Dr. Damani White-Lewis, assistant professor at the University of Pennsylvania, and Dr. Dawn Culpepper, Research Assistant Professor and Director of the ADVANCE Program for Inclusive Excellence, who contribute greatly to the project. This team has produced several publications and presentations related to the project (see citations below, peer-reviewed journal articles are bolded). They have also created this set of Faculty Hiring Research Briefs describing their research for the AGEP PROMISE Academy Alliance.
- Liera, R. & White-Lewis, D. Actualizing Racial Equity throughout the Faculty Hiring Process. Invited presentation at the Ivy+ Faculty Advancement Network (FAN). (April 2023).
- O’Meara, K., Templeton, L., White-Lewis, D., Culpepper, D., & Anderson, J. (2023). The safest bet: Identifying and assessing risk in faculty selection. American Educational Research Journal.
- Culpepper, D., White-Lewis, D., O’Meara, K., Templeton, L., & Anderson, J. (2023). Do rubrics live up to their promise? Examining how faculty search committees use rubrics in candidate evaluation and selection. The Journal of Higher Education. 1-28.
- White-Lewis, D., Culpepper, D., O’Meara, K., Templeton, J., & Anderson, J. (In Press). One foot out the door: Interrogating the “risky hire” narrative in STEM faculty careers. Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering. DOI: 10.1615/JWomenMinorScienEng.2023045539
- White-Lewis, D., O’Meara, K., Wessel, J., Anderson, J., Culpepper, D., & Templeton, J. (Revise & Resubmit due July 2023). Making the Band: Constructing Competitiveness in Faculty Hiring Decisions.
- White-Lewis, D. K., O’Meara, K., Mathews, K., & Havey, N. (2022). Leaving the Institution or Leaving the Academy? Analyzing the Factors that Faculty Weigh in Actual Departure Decisions. Research in Higher Education, 1-22.
- White-Lewis, D., O’Meara, K., Wessel, J., Anderson, J., Culpepper, D., & Templeton, J. (2022, April). Faculty selection: Findings from a naturalistic experimental study. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Diego, CA.
- White-Lewis, D. Racial Equity, Faculty Evaluation, and Organizational Change. Invited keynote at American University Racial Equity Summit (October 2022).
- White-Lewis, D. Five Lessons Learned in Advancing Racial Equity in Faculty Evaluation. Invited keynote at the National Science Foundation’s AGEP 2022 National Research Conference: Making Waves to Advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the STEM Professoriate (November 2022).
- White-Lewis, D., O’Meara, K. Culpepper, D., Templeton, J., & Anderson, J. (2021). One foot out the door: Interrogating the “risky hire” narrative in STEM faculty careers. Paper presented at the virtual annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association.
- White-Lewis, D., & O’Meara, K. (2021). Faculty hiring studies: Understanding the role of rubrics, risk, merit & diversity. Poster presented at the AGEP National Research Conference.
- White-Lewis, D., Culpepper, D., Templeton, L., & Anderson, J. (2020). Examining the use of rubrics in faculty hiring decisions. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, New Orleans, LA.
- O’Meara, K., Culpepper, D., & Templeton, L. L. (2020). Nudging Toward Diversity: Applying Behavioral Design to Faculty Hiring. Review of Educational Research, 90(3), 311–348. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654320914742
- White-Lewis, D. (2020). The Facade of Fit in Faculty Search Processes, The Journal of Higher Education, DOI: 10.1080/00221546.2020.1775058
- O’Meara, K., Culpepper, D., White-Lewis, D., Templeton, L., & Anderson, J. (2019). Shifting lenses: Examining and mitigating cognitive and social biases in faculty selection. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, Portland, OR.
Evaluator (External): Westat Corporation
Evaluator (Internal): Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale, UMBC Graduate School Director of Social Science Research and Dissertation Coach.
Select Foundational Papers
(These papers reflect the PROMISE Academy’s deep history in building community and success among underrepresented Graduate Students in STEM via other NSF funding such as PROMISE AGEP-T, PROMISE AGEP, PROMISE Pathways awards)
Kimberly Griffin, Vicki Baker, KerryAnn O’Meara, Gudrun Nyunt, Tykeia Robinson, Candice L. Staples, (2018) “Supporting scientists from underrepresented minority backgrounds: Mapping developmental networks“, Studies in Graduate and Postdoctoral Education, Vol. 9 Issue: 1, pp.19-37, https://doi.org/10.1108/SGPE-D-17-00032
W. Y. Carter-Veale, R. G. Tull, J. C. Rutledge, and L. N. Joseph (2016). Doctoral Student Experiences using The Dissertation House Model: Coping and Writing in a Shared Knowledge Community. CBE Life Sci Educ vol. 15 no. 3 ar34.
Reed, A. M & Tull, R. G. (2015) Programmatic Interventions for Developing Diverse Global Eminent Faculty Scholars Through International Collaborations. Paper presented at 4th Annual ASEE International Forum, Seattle, Washington (19.28.1 – 19.28.9). Seattle, Washington: American Society of Engineering Education.
Brown, Q, Tull, R. G., Medina, L., Beadle-Holder, M., and Medina, Y. (2015). Factoring Family Considerations into Female Faculty Choices for International Engagement in Engineering, IT, and Computer Science. Paper presented at American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE): 122nd ASEE Annual Conference Exposition, Seattle, WA: American Society for Engineering Education.
Tull, R. G., & Carter-Veale, W. (2014, May). Structured Interventions for Underrepresented Students and Faculty Members in STEM. In D. E. Chubin & A. L. DePass. (Eds.). Understanding interventions that broaden participation in research careers: Intervening to Critical Mass (vol. V, pp. 29-32). Summary of conference presentation at the 2012 Understanding Interventions that Broaden the Participation in Research Careers conference, Baltimore, MD.
Reed, A. M., & Tull, R. G. (2012). Reducing the Bottleneck: Breaking the Bottle! Addressing the Recruitment of Postdocs through Best Practices of AGEP and ADVANCE Horizons Programs. Proceedings of WEPAN 2012, Columbus, OH. Abstract: Webpage
Tull, R. G., Rutledge, J.C., Warnick, J. W., & Carter, F. D. (2012). PROMISE: Maryland’s Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate Enhances Recruitment and Retention of Underrepresented Minority Graduate Students. Academic Medicine, 87(11), p. 1562-1569.
Hrabowski, F. (2011). Institutional Change in Higher Education: Innovation and Collaboration, Policy Paper: Strategies to Increase STEM Achievement in Higher Education, McGraw-Hill Research Foundation.
Ponjuan, L., Gasman, M., Hirshman, E., & Esters, L. L. (2011). “A New Hope: Recruiting and Retaining the Next Generation of Faculty of Color”, Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities Issue Brief – Council on Access, Diversity and Excellence (https://www.aplu.org/netcommunity/)
Rutledge, J.C., Carter-Veale, W.Y. & Tull, R. G. (2011). Successful PhD Pathways to Advanced STEM Careers for Black Women in Beyond Stock Stories and Folktales: African Americans’ Paths to STEM Fields, Vol. 11., H. T. Frierson and W. F. Tate, Eds. United Kingdom: Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
Additional foundational papers may be found here: https://promiseagep.com/publications/